Friday, October 4, 2013

Ironic Condescension

Ever notice how adults in particular say "teenagers think they know everything"? Isn't it ironic that they would accuse someone else of knowing "everything" while they themselves are so fucking smug? They say things like "I remember when I was that age and thought I knew everything..." well guess what? You haven't changed a bit. You were an arrogant cockwad back then and you're still one now. If anything I was far under confident in myself as a teenager because every adult I ever met was assuring me that I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. How fucking rude. I can't stand ageism among other prejudices but this one still gets to me to this day. People who are older than me (even now that I'm into my late 20's) say "one day you'll be older and see things my way". Oh please. As if you're so fucking knowledgeable and wise. Being a decrepit old fart doesn't automatically give you any  kind of superiority or even more life experience. If you're 100 years old and you've been pampered and sheltered all 100 years you're not going to know half as much as a 10 year old who's gone through a ton of shit. But that won't stop people from their arrogance. Everyone seems to assume that their life has been the most enlightening experience a human can have. People also assume that the more you agree with them from the start the more intelligent you are. It's as if they hold their own opinions as the measuring stick for all knowledge. If someone disagrees with me personally I don't automatically dismiss them as being a fool. I want to know why they think what they do and if they can convince me that they're right then I will be impressed with them. But this is the age where admitting that you've learned something means that you're admitting "defeat" in some backwards bullshit way. It's more about dominating other people than actually being truthful. If you can convince someone of a lie it's treated with more respect than if you are able to come to a new understanding. No one congratulates people on learning things. They're seen as sell outs for not being stubborn enough to hold on to a lie.  They just want to argue and put people down. It's so annoying that the world is full of bullies and sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment